Mexican Chicken Rolls
photo by Nancygirl
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cut crosswse into 8 same size slices
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish; set the breadcrumb
- mixture aside. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of wax
- paper; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling
- pin. Place a slice of cheese on each chicken breast. Roll up from
- short side, and secure with wooden picks. Dip chicken rolls in
- butter, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls, seam side
- down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes, until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hubby and I thought this was good, and I thought it was also easy to prepare. I didn't have any breadcrumbs so I put some cheez-its in my food processor and used those. I also used cheap-o string cheese cut into chunks for the filling, and it seemed to work out well. I would have liked to add more spice, however I wanted my 1 year old to be able to eat it, which he did very happily. I would definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for posting it.
This was so quick and easy. My chicken breasts were pretty huge so I butterflied them before pounding them and also added a little arugula with the cheese which made for a beautiful presentation and another layer of flavor. I used panko for the crumbs and served with brown rice with corn, peppers, cumin, and chili powder. Crispy outside, moist and creamy inside! This is going to stay in our regular rotation.
These came out very well but I did make the mistake of getting distracted and used egg instead of butter to put the chicken in before the breadcrumb mixture. :( It worked really well, but I will have to try this again as written. I will add a little more spice to it though. Just my personal preference, and I will use this recipe again. Thank you. :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am happily married to my best friend and we just bought our first house! No kids but we have 2 little dogs that we think the world of. I was born in California and although I have been on the East Coast for most of my life I am still displaced! I love the beach and hate the cold! In our free time we love to go to the beach or the mountains and hike or intertube down the lazy Shenendoah River. It is so beautiful there! I have loved to cook all of my life and will read cookbooks like they are novels! Participation & Awards: These are some of the fun games and clubs here at Zaar. <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif"> <img src="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/ZWT3b.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">