Meatballs and No-Tomato Beefy Sauce, a Vintage Recipe
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 slices day-old homestyle white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth, diluted with 4 c. water
- Saute onions in oil until light brown stirring often.
- Trim crusts from bread and soak in milk; break up and add to onions in skillet. Stir with fork to blend.
- Add seasonings and eggs to above and work this mixture into meat with fingers (in bowl if easier).
- When well blended, wet hands and form balls size of walnut. Set on waxed paper.
- Bring broth and water to simmer over medium heat. Drop meatballs into broth, cover and turn heat to low and simmer for 10 mm. or until done.
- SAUCE: Melt 3 T. oleo in small pot and whisk in 1/3 Cup flour. Measure 2 Cups of the beef broth and whisk gradually into flour mixture. Add 3 T. lemon juice and drained capers from 2½ oz. bottle. (Lemon juice and capers optional.) Simmer on very low for 15 minute.
- Gotta have mashed potatoes with this.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!