Masala Mushroom and Eggplant (Aubergine)
photo by Brian Holley
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes with skin on
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 6 cups water, for boiling
- Boil eggplant cubes and chopped garlic clove in water for 10-12 minutes. Drain.
- While the eggplant is boiling, heat oil in skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onion, sauteing until clear/golden, about 5 minutes
- Add crushed garlic cloves and saute for added 2 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes (don't drain them) and garam masala, red chili, turmeric. Mix this all well, and stir it occasionally. Cook it for about 8-10 minutes. You really want to do this for the allotted time to get the spices melded with the tangy tomatoes. Otherwise, the tomatoes taste raw.
- Add eggplant, mushrooms and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir yogurt in a bowl to remove lumps and add the creamy yogurt to skillet quickly so it doesn't get chunky.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
At last a chance to review one of your recipes. What a pity that I can't email you. This is a very simple recipe, I made it in less than the stated time, but, the result was super. I am adding this recipe to my Indian cookbook, it's that good. I followed the recipe as written but added a touch of salt for my personal taste and dressed with a few coriander leaves as a garnish. We ate this along with curried chicken, as a vegetable dish, the two went well together. Thanks for posting, now perhaps we can see a few more of your Indian recipes on Zaar. All the best wishes Brian Holley
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am one lady who is totally a Recipe-Zaar ADDICT! I have been married for almost four years, and I get a kick out of the fact that DH says I became 'an overnight cooking queen' with the help of the Zaar. I love gathering recipes in my cookbook, printing on Fridays and shopping in preparation for the weeks meals. We have such a great time declaring recipes 'keepers' and I love that Recipezaar has helped me not only to cook well, but to really enjoy doing it. I've contributed some recipes of my own, and am so happy to see people have enjoyed them. I've also made some great friends through Recipezaar- I just love this site.