Ma's One Egg Cake
This was my Grandma's recipe. I believe it dates back to the depression. A moist and versatile cake that will please everyone. Really good with recipe #182807 or for strawberry shortcake or pineapple upside-down cake. You can double the recipe for a 10x13 pan or triple the recipe for a 12x16 pan.
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch x 9 inch pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening, the 2/3 cup milk, and the vanilla; beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the 1/3 cup milk and egg; beat for 2 more minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until done. You might check a little earlier because my oven runs cool. If doubling or tripling the recipe, you'll have to increase the cooking time substantially.
UPSIDE DOWN CAKE:
- If making pineapple upside down cake, use the strained juice in the batter, reducing the milk by the amount of juice used.
- Drop pieces of butter and sprinkle brown sugar on pan.
- Lay pineapple rings down.
- Pour cake batter on top.