This is my friend Teena's recipe that comes from her great grand-mother who came to this country from Sicily and has been handed down through her family. It is great for canning or freezing and absolutely delicious.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 cups fire-roasted tomatoes, crushed (or 1 large can 28 ounces with juice, Italian crushed tomatoes)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- fresh parsley (or basil leaves chopped, to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrot and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, then the wine, roasted tomatoes (or canned tomatoes if using) and tomato paste. Mix well, bring just to a boil, lower heat, and continue to cook at a simmer.
- Add herbs, and spices, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, and continue to simmer for 45 minutes more or until desired thickness. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh parsley or basil to garnish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION