Macaroni and Cheese Bites
A yummy appetizer for a party - be careful, or the kids will gobble them up first! Recipe can be doubled easily.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (do not use the stuff in the green can!)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄8 cup milk
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
- 2 ounces deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large pan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain well, shaking off any excess water.
- Brush mini muffin tins (48 mini-cups total) with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, constantly whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted. Mixture will be very thick. Remove from heat, and whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing well. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Carefully loosen the mini macs, remove from pan to a platter, and serve.
- These can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated overnight.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This time around I made these just for the 2 of us, as I wanted to do a test run, & believe me it was a great success! These are very nice tasties & just the right size to add to my monthly finger food counters for a couple of groups I host! I included the paprika as it made for an even nicer presentation! A great keeper, for sure! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block]