Mac and Jack and Cheese
photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs or 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup jarred pickled jalapeno pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it (I sometimes just microwave). Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4 qt.) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk a little at a time and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the pepper jack, cheddar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3 quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomato and arrange on top with the jalapenos. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine butter with bread crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top. If you want it more browned, try broiling ti for 2 minutes at the end.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!