Low Calorie Indian Curry
photo by Miriam B
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons walnut oil (or other nutty oil)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 140 g tomato paste (thick concentrated paste)
- 4 cups water
- 2 stock cubes (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head cauliflower
- 300 g spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- honey (optional & to taste)
- In a non stick or well seasoned pan roast cumin seeds, cloves and cardamoms on a high heat until they are aromatic and the cumin seeds start to go brown. Remove the cardamon seeds from the husks, discard husks. Grind the toasted spices.
- Spray pan with oil. Saute carrots. After a minute add onions. After another minute add ginger and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Mince the onions, carrots, ginger and garlic into a paste. Mix in the tomato paste, the crushed toasted spices, the coriander and chili powders.
- Add oil to pan. Add garam masala to cold oil. Mix - it should form a thick oily paste. Heat up pan until spices are just sizzling. Cook until fragrant (up to 30 seconds). Be very careful not to burn the spices.(This step might be easier in a wok, or at the edge of the pan so the oil pools.).
- Add paste. Mix. Turn up heat to med/high & fry until the paste starts to dry out.
- Add water, bay leaf, turmeric and stock. Mix. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Leave simmering while you cook the cauliflower.
- Preheat oven to 220 deg Celsius. (425 Fahrenheit).
- Cut cauliflower into large bitsize pieces.
- Cover an oven tray with baking paper (or grease). Spread cauliflower out on oven tray one layer deep. Sprinkle generously with salt. Bake. Turn over after 15 min and add extra salt. Bake until cooked but firm.
- When cauliflower is almost ready, remove bay leaf and add chopped spinach to curry. Cook until spinach is soft (approx 3 min).
- Add salt to taste.
- Optional - add honey to taste.
- Carefully add the cauliflower - don't stir too much or it will turn into a mush.
- Serve hot. You can eat it as is or with rice or naan bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!