Light Spinach Pasta With Tofu
photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- Boil pasta according to package directions but only till its almost done.
- Wash and clean the spinach and steam with a little water for 4 minutes in the microwave.
- Once it is steamed, blenderize it with the same water to get a spinach paste which is kind of watery
- In a large non stick skillet, heat oil.
- When oil gets hot, add the chopped garlic.
- When the garlic is slightly browned add the onions and stir fry till the onions turn brown.
- Add the tofu and stir fry till the tofu changes color a bit and looks slightly as if it has been fried.
- At this point add the red pepper flakes/powder and stir. Immediately add the the spinach paste
- Let it simmer.
- Add salt.
- When the water from the spinach reduces add the semi cooked pasta and let it cook completely. If you think more water is needed add that.
- I don't add cheese, but can also do the last step in the oven with mozzarella on top.
- I like this hot and cold--tastes good every way.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is so delicious! It is so quick, fast and healthy!<br/>I had a bunch of leftover spinach that needed to be used. This was the perfect recipe. I don't like fried tofu thought- so I used the spinach and onion paste as a marinade for the tofu. I made the sauce, then covered cubed tofu with it and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour. And the pasta - I poured tomato pasta sauce on it and mashed up the tofu with spinach mix. It tasted just like LASAGNA !!<br/>Fast meal, healthy and deeeelicious! Thanks
I made this for lunch today. It is very tasty and makes an excellent change from tomato based pasta sauces. Also a great way to get your greens. The only changes I made were to use very little oil for frying, add some extra garlic, and some chopped parsley. I puréed a clove of garlic and 1 tbsp chopped parsley with the spinach and also added more chopped parsley later. It amazes me that I never thought of using spinach for a pasta sauce. Thank you very for the recipe.