Lentil-Barley Vege Burgers
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 cup cooked pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Combine 1 1/2 cuts water and lentils in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place half of lentils in a large bowl. Place remaining lentils in a food processor; process until smooth. Add processed lentils to whole lentils in bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; saute 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to lentils. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, barley, and next 5 ingredients (through egg); stir well. cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide mixture into 6 portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 3 patties. Serve with a spicy fruit salsa or we've enjoyed them as a regular burger in a bun and with cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Let me start by saying this is absolutely going into my Best of 2013 cookbook. Yum! These are the best veggie burgers I have made yet. The flavor is mild (and open to lots of variation, IMHO) and the structure is fantastic. I didn't have an hour to let the mixture rest--maybe 30 minutes? They still held together great, and stayed together as I fried them even though I reduced the oil. Since it is ZWT I added a teensy bit of harissa at the table--yum. Even my 12 month old wee one ate 2!! Made for ZWT 9, Gourmet Goddesses.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">