Roasted Asparagus Salad
photo by CIndytc
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pt.)
- 1⁄2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 head bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a vegetable peeler if desired.
- Stir together 1 T. olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped basil, 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- Add asparagus to olive oil mixture, and toss gently to coat. Place asparagus on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake asparagus at 42°F for 13 to 15 minutes or to desired degree of tenderness. Cool 10 minutes.
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, garlic, and remaining 7 T of olive oil, 1 T. basil and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Toss together tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and take out 1 T. of the balsamic mixture you made and toss together.
- Arrange lettuce on a large serving plate or large bowl. Top with tomato mixture and asparagus. Add avocado just before serving. Drizzle with the remaining balsamic vinegar mixture.
- Note: To make ahead, toss together tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion without the dressing. Store these ready to use ingredients in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 hours. The dressing and asparagus can also be made up to 8 hours before serving.