Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely-minced lemongrass (fresh or frozen-prepared)
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 - 1 tablespoon dried crushed chili (1 tablespoon makes for very spicy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tbsp. cool water
- Place all sauce ingredients except cornstarch-water mixture in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. When sauce comes to a rolling boil and begins to foam up, reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling over medium heat 10 minutes, or until vinegar has burned off and sauce is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Sauce will gradually thicken in 1-2 minutes. If you'd like it thicker, add more cornstarch-water in the same way.
- Remove from heat and taste-test. The sauce should taste sweet first, followed by sour and then spicy tones. Adjust this balance by adding more sugar for a sweeter sauce, or a little more vinegar OR lemon/lime juice if too sweet. Add more chili if you'd like it spicier. This sauce is usually served at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!