Lebkuchen (Spice Bars)
- Ready In:
4 dozen bars
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice, Ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, Unbleached, Unsifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, Ground
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- Stir together the spices, salt flour, and baking powder.
- Stir in the almonds and lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until a ribbon is formed when the beater is removed.
- Stir in the honey and milk.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Spread the batter in an 11 X 17-inch jelly roll pan that is well greased and floured.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cake is done.
- While the cake is still warm, turn it out onto a wire rack.
- To make the almond glaze, mix the confectioners' sugar, almond extract, rum, and 1 to 2 T of water.
- Beat until glaze is smooth and of the right consistency.
- Add more water to thin if neccessary.
- Spread the warm cake with the almond glaze.
- Cut cake into 1 X 2 1/2-inch bars while still warm.
- Spice bars keep 6 to 8 weeks in a sealed container if not glazed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made this numerous times, double and triple the recipe and it's always a hit! My German friends said it's quite authentic,too. I do make more glaze than the recipe calls for and add some of the ground almonds to glaze as well for decoration. Sometimes, I also add lemon extract when I don't have a real lemon in the house and it works perfectly. A real winner and so delicious!