- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 3 small eggplants, sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch thick rounds (about 2 pounds)
- 4 medium onions, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch rounds (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- Heat oven to 400*F.
- LIghtly oil 12x9" oval baking dish.
- In bottom of baking dish, scatter garlic halves.
- Starting at one side of dish, create 3 lengthwise rows of vegetables, alternating slices of eggplant, onion, and tomato, that are standing on edge, until dish is full.
- Brush vegetables with 2 tbls.
- olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until eggplant is very tender.
- Carefully remove baking dish from oven and randomly insert cheese slices into vegetable rows.
- Brush with remaining 1 tbls.
- oil and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Return baking dish to oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- top with thyme sprigs, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was really good. I had some eggplant from my CSA share and picked up some tomatoes at the farmer's market along with some home grown basil. Other than adding some banana pepper with the garlic, using basil and shredded mozz instead of sliced those were my only changes. This is one that will go into my recipe box to be made again and again during eggplant season. Simple and delicious.