Layered Lettuce Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 small head lettuce, shredded fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 16 ounces frozen peas, thawed with hot water but not cooked, then cooled
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Spread over last layer and sprinkle over that
- 1⁄2 lb cheese, grated
- 8 slices bacon, fried, then crumbled over cheese
- Layer vegetables.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and sugar.
- Spread over vegetables, then sprinkle over that the cheese and bacon.
- Seal tightly and allow to stand for 24 hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Thirty some years ago, mom published the first Hawman Family Cookbook to give each of her three daughters a way to carry our favorite recipes from childhood off into the next phase of our lives. I still have the original pages, straight from the typewriter, with traces of whited-out type showing through the corrected lines, and with drips and grease stains highlighting my favorite recipes. With my own daughter now ready to head out on her own, it's time for an updated version complete with her favorites as well. I'm starting this project in January 2010, with a goal of completing the "new expanded edition" in time for Christmas presents in December. I'll be using Recipezaar to collect the recipes, but my hope is to publish my final book complete with the stories and pictures evoked by this memory book of family food. For that, I'm looking forward to countless conversations with my 81-year-old mother, sisters, and children as well as others in my extended family. Let the fun begin! Noelle