Lamb and Feta Meatballs With Tomato Sauce
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 ounce of fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 ounce flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 egg
- 7 ounces feta
- 2 ounces pine nuts, lightly toasted
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the garlic. When the garlic sizzles, quickly add the tomatoes and a generous grinding of pepper. Cook over a high heat for about 4 minutes, until the tomatoes collapse.
- In a bowl, mix the lamb and herbs together. Add the egg, season, and use your hands to mix together until it forms a paste. Crumble the feta into medium-sized pieces and add half to the mixture. Form into 20 even-sized balls.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan – large enough to take the meatballs in one layer – until very hot. Add all the balls at once (or cook in 2 batches) and sear on 1 side; shake the pan to turn them all at once. Fry for a total of 6 minutes on high to brown on all sides. Don't worry if some fall apart. Lower the heat to medium, add the tomato and garlic sauce and stir.
- To serve, scatter the remaining feta over the meatballs and garnish with the lightly toasted pine nuts and extra mint leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)