The basic Lablabi is a tasty chick pea stew served with chunks of day old French bread. Of course there are multiple add-in’s available. Most Tunisians add harissa, egg and tuna which I highly recommend. The more adventurous ask for some lamb head or knee bones!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb dried garbanzo beans
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons tunisian harissa
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup of tunisian extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Soak chickpeas and when ready to make Lablabi rinse well and add to about 8 cups cold water. You may also substitute broth for the water. Bring to boil. Add garlic, cumin and harissa. Let simmer for about 1-2 hrs until chickpeas are soft. Add salt to taste ( you won’t need any if you use broth). Add more water as needed.
- If you use prepared chick peas you only need to cook for 30 minutes or so.
- When chick peas are soft you can use an immersion blender or smash some of the soft chickpeas if you want a thicker broth. If you like a thin broth just leave as is.
- When ready to eat stir in the Olive Oil, lemon juice and parsley.