Kung Po Chicken
- Ready In:
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornflour cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of sichuan salt and pepper
- Combine chicken with cornflour and shao hsing wine in a bowl. Cover, place in refrigerator and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place oil and chillies in a cold wok and then turn heat to low. Cook for about 1½ minutes or until chillies begin to darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, immediately remove chillies and drain on kitchen paper.
- Leaving chilli-infused oil in wok, turn heat up to high and stir-fry half the chicken cubes for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add extra oil to wok with remaining chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Return all chicken to wok, along with ginger and reserved chillies and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add peanuts, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Sichuan pepper and salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I LOVE: Being a mom to a lovely, beautiful angel of a daughter, my wonderfully sweet, kind and loving husband, and my family. Cooking, of course, working out, spending time with my husband and family, taking walks, reading, catching up on celeb gossip, lounging around the house watching Heros DVDs, baking treats, playing with my daughter, and hanging out with my sister every week!!