Key Lime Ice Cream
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh key lime juice
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan; slowly beat the hot cream into the egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly (be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove pan from heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.
- Let the custard cool slightly, then stir in the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the cold custard well; then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but can be eaten; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours or overnight.
- *Margarita Ice Cream—add ¼ cup tequila and ¼ cup orange liqueur before freezing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!