photo by Anne Sainz
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 12 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 5 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium small white beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- Prepare garlic, onion and mushrooms and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 1 can of broth and 1 can of beans until smooth.
- Combine puree, kale, garlic, onion, mushrooms, remaining broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings in a large soup pot (at least 6 quarts).
- Bring to a boil on moderately high heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning on the bottom.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!