Italian Spinach Pies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 11mins
- 1 recipe italian bread dough, 2 lbs. (or pizza dough but bread works better in this recipe)
- 2 lbs frozen spinach, chopped, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or more) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Heat oil and butter up in a 12 inch skillet and add the garlic. Saute for a minute and then add pepper flakes and saute for another minute.Add the spinach and heat it through and taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- Separate dough into 8 portions and let rise until doubled, punch down and rest for 10 minutes. Roll each portion into a circle - not too thin that it tears. Fill one side with cooled spinach mixture, fold dough over and crimp the edge. Let rest while you pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust looks done.
- Before baking you can mark the pies with letter H using a fork to distinguish the pies with hot pepper flakes from the plain.
- It's really simple. I think the more simple the better although I have added dried tomatoes and other things. Hope you try this.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Zaars and Zaarinas! Thank all of you who tried my 'memory' recipes and left such nice reviews and for taking such lovely pictures. I do appreciate your comments. My pet peeves about cooking are recipe reviews where the reviewer says, "I made the recipe exactly as written EXCEPT yada yada yada" and I don't like suggestive names or titles such as, "Better Than Sex". I don't know why anyone would eat anything that is 'sinful' or 'decadent' since decadent is described as being decaying. Also, PAP-RI-KA only has 3 syllables. VINAIGRETTE is pronounced vin-a-grette, not vinager-ette. It's mas-car-pone not mars-ca-pone. And I don't like cutesy adult baby talk,,, or metro chic names like delish, nutrish, yummo, sammy, BAM! Oh well, I make as many, or more, faux pas as the next guy especially in ASL! Things that crack me up are: DH Fred from youtube.com Nick, my nephew Fish and Poi song as performed by PoiBoi My possum recipe per the song on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvL4-srt6U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbyM8k7e2Q wow this is good! my Doggie Little Yellow Petey Bird on youtube My BFF's. all of them and there are so many! and my little Sister Mary Beth. She has MS and Lupus and a great attitude. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">