Iron Soup (Spinach and Lentil With a Punch)
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or other liquid of choice)
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 bunch spinach, ends trimmed, washed, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 1 cup firm tofu, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock/liquid and and lentils to the pan.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, tofu, and spices. Stir. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook until spinach wilts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I moved to Israel in Aug, 2006, and have been reinventing myself since then. I work with kids with special needs (autism, ADD/HD, dyslexia), and have been slowly rebuilding my practice here. Since I'm home more than my husband, I've started taking over the builk of the cooking (he used to be the main chef of the family). I particularly like the challenge of cooking to suit special dietary needs.