I recently returned from Ireland, where I was taught how to make 'real' Irish coffee. I haven't seen any recipe exactly like this elsewhere - I definitely didn't know this was how its made - so I thought I'd share. It's yummy, slightly sweet, and perfect for those cold nights in Ireland, especially when made with decaf.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 4 ounces strong black coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons heavy cream
- boiling water
- nutmeg or cinnamon
- Boil water and fill the glass mug to warm through. Dump out water.
- Pour whiskey in glass, add coffee, sugar. Stir to combine.
- Shake or vigorously stir heavy cream. Do NOT whip - the idea is to have frothy cream, not whipped stiff peaks. Gently float the cream on top of the coffee.
- Optional: sprinkle nutmeg and/or cinammon on top.