Indian Masala Chai
There are many versions of this tea. This is a good one from Food & Wine magazine. This would also make lovely gifts. Just package up the dry ingredients and write out the directions!
- Ready In:
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons black tea (decaf is best)
- In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon, or use a coffee grinder.
- Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water, ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the tea.
- Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION