Hungarian Country Bread
photo by sbowl1
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- Dissolve yeast in water (if using dry yeast, follow instructions).
- Add most of the flour and the salt.
- Knead vigorously by hand for 5-10 minutes.
- Let rise, covered, to double size (1-2 hours).
- Heat the oven to 450 deg F/ 230 deg C.
- Knead again, vigorously, for 5 minutes.
- Shape one big, round loaf and put on a greased baking tray.
- Cover and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Make a few cuts in the loaf with a razorblade.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400/200 deg and bake another one hour.
- The crust should become quite brown.
- Turn off the oven, take out the bread, and brush the bread with water.
- Put it back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let cool uncovered.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!