Alice's Rustic Country Bread
photo by DeeBee
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 40mins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup water (room temperature)
FOR THE BREAD
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Stir together Sponge ingredients to form a stiff dough. Cover and let rest for at least 5 hours.
- In mixing bowl with dough hook add the 4 cups of bread flour, 1-1/3 cups of water, 2TB honey and 2 tsp salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, fold dough into itself and dump into an oiled bowl with the smooth side up and let rise with a dampened kitchen towel over it for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven with tiles (or if you're using a stone preheat the stone in the oven to 450 degrees F.
- After the 45 minutes second rise time is up, dump the dough onto a cornmeal dusted piece of parchment paper that you've put onto a cookie sheet. Open oven and slide the dough with the parchment paper onto the baking tiles. Spritz oven with water and close oven and bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until internal temperature of bread reaches 210 degrees F.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hmm... let's see.. Cooking is my passion... I'm retired now and able to cook and bake every day. I think the most helpful cookbook that I own would have to be The New Doubleday Cookbook. I just love kitchen gadgets and have many of them. Besides cooking I love to sing and belong to the Sweet Adeline's International. I get very annoyed at people who are LATE! I think it's just as easy to be late as it is to be on time. Well.. thanks to all of you at Zaar for all of your terrific recipes and ideas that bring my friends and family much joy and happiness. They get to try all of my new recipes.