Hot Tamale Casserole (Gooseberry Patch)
I found this in the Gooseberry Patch Best-Ever Casseroles cookbook and I am posting for safe keeping. I think that I will probably add a can of diced green chilies to the mix when I make it but I will update on changes at that time. (Originally submitted by Marlene Darnell from Newport Beach, CA)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground turkey (or beef) in a skillet over medium heat; drain and add taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Prepare corn muffin mixes with eggs and milk; mix well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9" baking dish.
- Top with ground turkey and layer with 1 c cheese.
- Pour remaining batter over cheese and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread with salsa.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.