Hot Cross Buns
photo by Jubes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
18 hot cross buns
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast, two 7 gram sachets
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 80 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatin powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Mix the yeast with one tablespoon of the sugar and all of the milk in a small bowl. Whisk until the yeast is dissolved. Cover the bowl and stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt into a large bowl; rub in the butter with your fingertips, until the butter is thoroughly distributed.
- Stir in the remaining sugar, fruit, yeast mixture, egg and the water to make a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with oiled plastic wrap and stand in a warm place for about one hour or until mixture is doubled in size.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 18 portions and roll each into a ball.
- Place the balls, almost touching, on a large greased oven tray. Stand in a warm place for about 20 minutes or until dough is almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C or 200°C if fan-forced.
- FOR THE FLOUR PASTE: Sift flour and sugar into a small bowl; gradually stir in enough water to make a smooth thick paste. Place the Flour Paste into a resealable plastic bag and snip a tiny piece off one corner. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake the buns for about 15 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped.
- Transfer the buns to a wire rack and brush the tops with the Glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Combine the glaze ingredients until the sugar and gelatine are dissolved.
- Hot cross buns are best eaten the day or next day from baking. Can be frozen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free