Homemade Yogurt in a Cooler!
This is the easiest way to make homemade yogurt! It will be nice and thick like Greek yogurt because of the added powdered milk. You can also warm the milk in the microwave. Just stir it every couple of minutes until it reaches 185 degrees F.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt (make sure it contains "live cultures")
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk to 185 degrees, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Add dry milk to warmed milk and whisk until dissolved.
- Place pan in a large bowl with ice water and cool milk down to 110 degrees.
- Place 3 T yogurt in a small bowl and mix with about 1/2 cup of warm milk.
- Pour pan of warm milk into a one quart jar, then add yogurt mixture.
- Partially fill a 1 gallon drink cooler with 110 degree water (I use one with the spout in the lid, but any small cooler will work).
- Place jar in cooler and make sure the water comes up to just below the lid.
- Cover cooler and place in a warm, sunny spot in your yard for 6-8 hours! The sun will help the yogurt stay nice and warm while it incubates.
- Refridgerate and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The cooler method works very well. I've done this with a different recipe for over a month now. But it is totally unnecessary to leave it in the yard. Put the filled cooler anywhere in your kitchen and leave the lid on. Can sit overnight or around 8-12 hrs. Place yogurt in fridge for at least 12 hrs to cool after being in cooler.Reply