photo by Samantha S.
- Ready In:
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg white and water until frothy with an electric mixer, about 20 seconds. Then slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the almond extract and a few drops of food coloring.
- Line 3 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Transfer the confectioners’ sugar mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a #4 pastry tip. Pipe the batter out into lines to cover all three sheets. Do not let the lines touch one another.
- Let the sheets stand at room temperature, uncovered, until the lines are completely dry, about 12 hours.
- Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, pick the lines off the parchment paper. The pieces will break off into long and short pieces. Once you’ve loosened the lines from the entire sheet, carefully break the sprinkles down even further with your fingers. Use immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Samantha Seneviratne is an author and baker in New York City. Her first cookbook, The New Sugar and Spice, was nominated for a 2016 James Beard Award. She's also the author of Gluten Free For Good and a contributor to The New York Times and Martha Stewart. She is currently working on her third cookbook.