Herbed Lentils and Rice
From: "The Bean Cookbook" by Norma S. Upson. When I try it I will probably double the herbs. *Use vegetable broth to make this Vegetarian. You may try this with any kind of cheese you like.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 2 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I would use 1-2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, strips to top
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese strips and turn into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350F for about 1 1/2 hours until lentils and rice are cooked, stirring twice.
- Place cheese strips on top of the lentil-rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We loved this!! I used shredded mozzarella in the mix and topped with swiss cheese slices. Toddler, Hubby, and I all thought it is one of the best lentil dishes we have had. We get 500 calories for dinner so I paired it with Broccoli Slaw recipe #285741 for a fresh veggie on the side. AWESOME!Reply
I tagged for Zaar Stars. I'm trying to get more lentils in my family, but having a hard time! 2 liked this, 2 didn't. I really liked it. I added some TVP for added protein and upped the broth a bit. Used the stated amount of seasonings, except less pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Also used mozzarella. Thanks Engrossed!Reply
see 10 more