Healthy Blueberry-Banana Bread
I came up with this recipe when I had a lot of bananas and fresh blueberries to use up. I didn't want to make my usual fattening blueberry muffins or banana bread, so I experimented and came up with this instead. We thought it was pretty good for being low in fat!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 mashed very ripe bananas (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Mix together dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, applesauce, and bananas.
- Stir banana mixture into flour mixture, and then add blueberries.
- Stir carefully (the blueberries crush easily).
- Bake in a greased loaf pan for approximately one hour at 350°F.
- Bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I may have tweeked this so much I've created a new recipe, but WoW! Very good! I didn't have any whole wheat flour so,,, I also didn't have any apple sauce so I sliced up two apples and sent them for a spin in the Vitamix. This is also the first time I used an egg replacer in a recipe. Add to that a generous sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. To finalize the process I included extra blueberries. Nearly 2 cups because I like blueberries and a cup or so of coarsely chopped walnuts. I'm not sure how far off the bake time was. I kept checking it with a toothpick and took it out when it was getting dark brown. Probably added too much apple cause I didn't want to waste what was left. It's a dense moist loaf reminding me more of bread pudding then bread. One bite and I was in love!! Slice it, cube it and top it with ice/nice cream or whipped topping. Very pleased with this versatile loaf!Reply
This tastes wonderful! I modified it slightly to using 2 bananas (that was all I had at home), replaced the sugar with bakeable Stevia (a zero calorie natural sweetener) and used 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup all purpose flour. The bread had a great texture and the blueberries definitely spiced things up!Reply