Hatch Chile Corn Bread
Recipe adapted from Central Market/Dallas Morning News
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 hatch chiles (about 7 oz total)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated and packed (smoked or extra-sharp)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Char chiles over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chiles. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 9x5x2-inch metal loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to blend. Stir in cheese. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and butter in another medium bowl to blend. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, and stir just until blended. Mix in chiles. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until deep golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. (Check at about 20 minutes.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION