Grilled Root Vegetable Breakfast Hash With Crunchy Poached Egg
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 2 medium beets
- 2 parsnips or 2 carrots, sliced in half, quarters
- 2 2 red russet potatoes or 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium size onion, sliced into quarters with stem attached
- 2 cups kale leaves, with stems
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup ground cereal (Kelloggs All-Bran Original)
- 1⁄4 cup cereal (Kelloggs All-Bran Buds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons browned butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 a lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Puncture the potatoes in a few spots and wrap each in foil with a pinch of salt. Wrap the beets in separate foil with a pinch of salt and 1 tsp olive oil. Place the parsnip or carrot slices along with the onion in a separate piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Wrap to seal.
- Place all vegetable packages in the oven and roast the beets and potato about 40 minutes. Remove the carrot and onion after about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn on the barbecue. Remove the beets from the foil and slip off the skins. Cut into quarters. Remove the potatoes and cut in half and then quarters and toss in olive oil. Remove the carrots and onion from the foil.
- Toast the caraway, fennel and sesame seeds in a dry sauté pan. Cool and toss with 1 tbsp of clarified butter, and 2 tbsp of each cereal. Set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine the Tobasco, maple syrup, browned butter, olive oil, sherry vinegar, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the potatoes, carrots, onions and beets on the barbecue for a couple minutes on each side to get some char and smoke. Grill the kale leaves quickly just to wilt slightly.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1 tbsp white wine vinegar. Poach eggs and remove with a slotted spoon. Allow to dry on paper towel.
- To plate, divide the vegetables and kale among four plates. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over each plate. Set a poached egg on each plate and finish with seed crunch and a little finishing salt. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!