Green Corn Tamale Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese, large curd
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (17 ounce) can corn (white, cream style)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 (8 ounce) cans mild green chilies, cut into strips
- 8 ounces cheese, grated (Longhorn or sharp cheddar)
- Grease a 2-qt. baking dish.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir cornmeal and salt into scalded milk; beating hard. Cook a few seconds over low heat stirring until mixture is the consistency of thick mush.
- Blend in butter, corn, cottage cheese and finally the baking powder into the cornmeal mixture.
- Fold in yolks, then whites.
- Pour into baking dish in layers of batter, grated cheese and chile, last layer being batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until fluffy and golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!