Greek Yogurt Bread
photo by FrannyNX
- Ready In:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I use organic)
- 1 cup white bread flour (I use spelt)
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients together, I use my stand mixer with the dough hook.
- Let mixer kneed the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Dough should be moist and pliable but not sticky, if it is dry add more water, if it is too sticky add a little extra flour.
- Coat a bowl with a little oil place dough in the bowl and cover with cling wrap and leave for about 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size dust bench lightly with flour turn out dough and lightly press down to remove a little of the air.
- Form into your choice of loaf, I like to use a proofing basket, but you could use a tin or free form.
- Let the loaf rise for another 40 min to 1 hour.
- Pre heat your oven to super hot 450 F/ 250°C.
- I use a pizza stone but it can go straight in the oven on a tray if you don't have one.
- Leave oven temp on high for 10 min then reduce to 375 F/ 190 C for a further 20 minute.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loved this so much I signed up just to rate and review! Used natural low-fat yogurt, halved the recipe as only for two people, and used a tea-towel-lined small basket as a banneton for proofing. Fantastic rich almost sourdough-y flavour and super-soft light crumb. Because we prefer a thin light crust rather than the heavier artisan-style crust, I baked with an oven tray directly above and a pan of boiling water below to help it to cook through without the crust browning too fast and thickening. Took them out with 5 minutes to go, and perfect thin crust. So delicious.