Greek Orzo Pasta
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Remove and discard broccoli leaves and tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli thoroughly and coarsely chop. Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling water 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.
- Cook pine nuts in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until browned, stirring often. Add red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine orzo, broccoli, pine nuts, feta cheese and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made as written, mmm, this is Excellent, Nancy! I was horrified to find as I started prep, that I had no feta cheese! Not knowing what to sub, I simply made it without ........ I will make this again with feta, but I've got to say, it's really really good even without it! super healthy too! very glad I tried this recipe, made for PRMR tag game, thank you Nancy!
I omitted the olives because I don't care for them...I really enjoyed the flavors of this dish...but the hubby thought it was bland...I thought the feta really added to the over all taste...but I bet if I liked olives the tartness would have complemented the dish...made for "For Your Consideration" tag game...
This is easy to make, and I thought it would really wow me. I think part of the fault is mine. I think it would pair well with grilled chicken or fish, but my son wanted "bang bang" chicken, which is fried....just didn't go together! I'll try this again with some shrimp or fish....think I'd really enjoy the flavors more that way. I wasn't sure of the amount of oil....and wasn't sure if I was supposed to stir that into the orzo or drain the pine nuts and red pepper flakes. I drained, and think maybe I should have added it to the mix.....?
see 2 more reviews