Gingered Fig and Mango Chutney With a Bite
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
8 1/2 cups
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon black cardamom seed
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs fresh figs (firm between green and ripe, stems removed and chopped in 8ths)
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped (Walla Walla or equivalent)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 chili, diced
- 1 firm green mango, seeded and cubed
- 1 apple, cored removed and diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon dark n yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Grind the whole allspice, whole black pepper, and black cardamom seeds. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture has thickened to form thick syrup. Then simmer for 60 more minutes. Stirring often toward end of cooking to prevent burning.
- Optional: Save 2 cups of chopped fruits and pepper to add halfway through cooking for a chunkier chutney.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and ladle into hot sterilized jars until 1/4 inch from the top.
- Seal with lids and set the jars in a pot of hot water bath for 20 minutes.
- Label and store in a cool dark place for 3 weeks at least for flavors to develop.
- Makes 8-9 1/2 pint jars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!