German Pfeffernusse Cookies - Gluten Free
photo by Sica6488
- Ready In:
- 250 g self-raising gluten-free flour (I use Orgran brand)
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, if you don't mind black specks
- Preheat oven to 190°C Line baking trays with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Mix all ingredients in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until roughly mixed. Do not overbeat.
- Using a spatula then,scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Leaving the mixture in the bowl, knead with your hands (gloved if you wish!) until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Roll mixture into balls, about the size of walnuts.
- Place on baking sheets about 1/2 inch/ 1 cm apart. Bake for about 10 minutes at 190°C.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely on the trays. Store in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My husband is of German descent and asked for these cookies for Christmas. I was nervous I wouldn't find a decent gluten-free recipe, but these are great! I couldn't find self-rising gluten-free flour here in the United States, so I substituted with 2 cups gluten-free flour, 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt and an extra egg. To keep the cookies from sticking to my hands, I also rolled them in sugar before putting them on the baking tray. They turned out awesome! My two year old is currently asking for more!
You don't know how thrilled I was to find this recipe! I found out I was gluten sensitive over a year ago. When Christmas rolled around, I felt so sad that I couldn't make all my favorite cookies like I used to, Pfeffernusse being one of my favorites. This recipe had a different spice combination than my old recipe, but oddly enough, they came out tasting very similar! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free