photo by NorthwestGal
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned (optional)
- 2 ounces fat or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup tomato puree (optional) or 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- Brown beef cubes on all sides in hot fat.
- Add chopped onion and saute a few minutes.
- Pour in boiling water, season with salt and pepper, add mushrooms if using, cover and braise gently until done (1.5 to 2 hours).
- Season to taste with paprika and salt, then thicken with corn starch blended with the cold water.
- Note: Sour cream or tomato puree may be added.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles and with tomato, cucumber salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent! I should have let the juices cook down a bit before adding the corn starch as 2 tsp. still left the gravy a bit thin but very tasty. I added the mushrooms during the last couple of minutes of browning to give them a bit more flavour. I used a sirloin steak and it was very tender. I added about 3 tblsp. of sour cream. More would likely be better but 3 was enough. I also only used 1 tblsp. of Canola oil and that was plenty. The aroma while it was cooking was so good and the taste didn't disappoint. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I made a picture but when I went to download it my card was still in the computer -- next time! Made for ZWT X-tra Hot Dishes.
This was a fantastic meal, which we served over noodles. The spices were just right, and the beef was tender and flavorful. We'll definitely have this again. I didn't opt for the optional tomato puree or sour cream, but I'd like to try both of those options sometime in the future. Thanks, Dreamer! Made for Zaar World Tour #6.