Goulash Soup- German
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean stew meat, boneless
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cut beef into 1/2" cubes.
- In 4 qt pan sprayed with cooking spray combine beef, onions, garlic, paprika, marjoram and 1/2 c water.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium, cook, stirring often til liquid has evaporated and onions are browned. 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smoothly blended.
- Add 1 cup more of the water, beef broth, and tomato paste, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Gradually add in remaining 3 1/2 c water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and peppers.
- Cover and reduce heat cooking til meat is tender - about 2 hours. Skim and discard surface fat.
- Stir in parsley and season to taaste with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great soup. I forgot to put in the parsley, used Yukon Gold potatoes, 4 beef bouillon cubes, and added a little sugar. I love soup, and this one is a new favorite. My daughter who does not like peppers declared she liked this soup and even asked for seconds, even when she knew she was eating peppers. This recipe also gave me an opportunity to use the marjoram in my spice collection before it got too dusty!