Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (about 6 large cloves)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level or you may omit)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (save a few to garnish the top of the dish after cooking)
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (or use 2 medium)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets (can use more)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- For the stir-fry sauce; in a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup chicken broth with soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch until smooth; set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or in a large heavy skillet; when the oil starts to smoke quickly stir in 1 tablespoon minced garlic, crushed chili flakes, ginger and chopped green onions; stir-fry until the green onions are translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the chicken strips and stir-fry until opaque (about 3 minutes).
- Add in remaining garlic, yellow onion slices and steamed broccoli florets and 1/2 cup chicken broth; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Re-mix the broth/cornstarch mixture slightly once again with a fork or whisk then add to the skillet; cook stirring until the chicken and veggies are coated and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove to a bowl and sprinkle chopped green onions on top.
- serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sorry, but this tasted nothing like the garlic chicken I have had from Chinese take-out. It was OKAY tasting, but a little bit on the bland side. I even doubled the sauce as suggested. Oh well. Kittencal, I have tried many of your recipes, and for the most part they are fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Garlic Chicken has always been a favorite of ours. We had a favorite restaurant that used to serve it and they closed :O( This is the closest that we have ever come to that restaurants! Thank you Kit! We left out the red pepper flakes out. The next time that we make this we will be adding water chestnuts, maybe some bokchoy, & doing a rough chop on the yellow onions so they don't become so stringy. This is now our go to stir-fry. We loved it! Another 5 star!!!