Breaded and golden-fried goat cheese medallions are a great appetizer served with a drizzle of honey, garnished with sliced or diced peppers and spread on baguette slices. These little beauties would also be great atop a green salad.
1. Slice the goat cheese log into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch medallions. (For easier slicing, make sure the cheese is well chilled. You may place it in the freezer for 10 minutes before slicing. Use unflavored dental floss instead of a knife to get sharp slices.).
2. In a bowl, combine the Panko crumbs, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
3. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg with a little water.
4. In a third bowl, place the flour.
5. In a shallow sauté pan, heat about 1/2 inch of olive oil over medium-high heat.
6. Dredge the cheese slices in the flour, then dip in egg, and coat with the Panko mixture.
7. Gently place the breaded medallions into the heated olive oil in pan. Fry until golden brown on each side, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
8. Remove from the oil and drain/blot on a paper towel.
9. To serve, place medallions on a serving platter/plate or wooden board. Drizzle each with a little honey and garnish with the peppers. Serve with sliced baguette.
These medallions would also be great served atop a green salad.