I love this recipe because it is has no eggs in it and is great hot or cold. I got this recipe from a Canadian Living magazine probably about twenty years ago. You can have it for breakfast with honey or jam or whatever you like! It's great with soups or stews too.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups approx buttermilk
- oil (for deep frying)
- In a large bow, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Gradually pour in buttermilk, stirring constantly and adding more buttermilk if necessary to make soft but not sticky dough. It will be quite soft.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead several times. Roll out (or pat with palm of hand) to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch rounds or cut into diamond shapes.
- Deep fry in oil as you would doughnuts, about 5 to 6 minutes untill golden. Delicious!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Actually made this for a breakfast treat, & then also had it for lunch with some soup ~ Really enjoyed the use of buttermilk here & these TASTY TREATS were also great with a homemade spread of orange honey butter! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]Reply