Fresh Tomato Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 8 chicken breasts
- 1 fresh tomatoes, diced or (800 g) can tomatoes, drained and flesh diced
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-fat cheese (I prefer tasty)
- Arrange chicken in an ovenproof dish.
- They should not overlap.
- In a bowl combine everything else but the cheese.
- Mix well.
- Cover the chicken with the mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Leave this until you want it, it works well if you do it in the morning but it is not necessary.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- The cheese does not need to brown unless you really want it to, I like it just oozy.
- Serve one breast per person on rice or pasta or couscous.
- Even mashed potato could be nice although I've never tried it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Two out of three of us enjoyed this (but the third is a bit picky anyway). I used thighs and legs, stacked them in a narrow but deep plastic container with a lid, poured the veggie/spice mixture over, covered and stuck it in the fridge at dinner time on Tuesday and baked it Wednesday night. I was really surprised that it really didn't need any additional salt - I'm a salt addict. We'll definitely be making this again when our picky third party has other plans. :)
I was looking for a recipe to use up some of the millions of tomatoes I have from my garden and this one was a 5 Star Find!! You can't ask for an easier recipe! The flavor was great! I sided it with Parmesan Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Recipe #3721 ) and it was wonderful together! I didn't let it marinate this time- next time I will and I'll try it on thin spaghetti and topped with mozzarella cheese - it should be great. By the way, I just made this yesterday and my PICKY fiance wanted me to make it again tonight (that says a lot)!