Florida Orange Pie
- Ready In:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup diced orange section, drained
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Beat egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup orange juice to a saucepan; stir to combine.
- Cook and stir constantly over low heat for 10-12 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°; take off of heat.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the remaining orange juice; stir to combine, then let stand for 1 minute.
- Add gelatin mixture and grated orange and lemon rind to egg yolk mixture; stir to combine.
- Chill until the mixture has the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- In another bowl, beat 1/2 cup whipping cream, 2/3 cup powdered sugar and salt with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream mixture into gelatin mixture.
- Fold in coconut and orange sections.
- Spoon mixture into pie shell; chill until firm.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the remaining whipping cream until foamy.
- Gradually add in 3 tablespoons powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread half of whipped cream over pie.
- Pipe or dollop the remaining whipped cream around the edge of the pie.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!