Flank Steak Pinwheels
photo by Carolinkaj
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 cup chopped onions or 1/8 cup shallot
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups raw spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1⁄3 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup roasted red pepper (sold bottled)
- 1⁄8 cup garlic butter (optional)
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb flank steak
- In a large ziploc bag, mix marinade ingredients together thoroughly.
- I have also used bottled steak marinade if necessary.
- Flatten the flank steak on a cutting board and pound flat with a meat mallet or the bottom of a glass.
- Add meat to marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove steak from marinade and spread garlic butter (if using) over the flat side of the steak. Layer chopped onion, bread crumbs, red peppers, spinach leaves, and cheese.
- Roll the steak up like a jelly roll and tie with string or close with toothpicks.
- Place the roll in a greased baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1/2 hour rare, 45 minutes for medium, and 1 hour for well done. Let stand 10 minutes, then slice into 1 inch slices to serve.
- I have also used garlic herb cream cheese in place of the shredded cheese and butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is one for the record books - No lie! I didnt have any red wine so i omitted it. Instead of jar-roasted red peppers I used a 1/3 of a freash roasted red pepper, diced up. I also added juilien cut sun dried tomatoes. I marinated the flank steak for about an hour, stuffed & tied it, wrapped it up and put it in the fridge overnight to cook the next day. Let me recommend the Low-Sodium Soy Sauce because Soy Sauce is rediculously high in sodium. This meal was Ah-Mazingly Crrrazy delicious!
(Rating is for Marinade Only!)- This was really good!! The marinade was so easy to make and when I went to pull the flank steak out of the bag, it smelled Heavenly! Too bad I made it into pinwheels (I used a different recipe for the filling) because the filling overpowered the meat. Next time, I will just marinate it and cook it as is since the marinade was so tasty! Thanks so much!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook for my friends and family, and grow herbs and veggies in the yard. I am also the manager of my daughter's club soccer team, which is a lot of work and gives me great pleasure.