Flaky Pie Crust
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The ingredients sound odd, but this does make a great flaky pastry crust for pies.
- Ready In:
Perfect Pie Crust
- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
Combine in bowl and add
- 1 3⁄4 cups shortening (I prefer chilled butter) or 1 3/4 cups butter (I prefer chilled butter)
In small bowl combine
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Mix flour, sugar and salt with fingers or fork till corse mill.
- Combine two mixtures with fingers or fork just until barely moistened. If you over combine you will make it tough and lose flakiness.
- If it looks under stirred and falls apart then you're there! Tightly wrap it in plastic wrap (it will continue to combine by itself while wrapped) and chill for half hour.
- Flour surfaces before rolling out.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used frozen butter and grated it in to the flour. The dough was easy to work with the first day and even easier after being chilled for 24hrs. I used theis to make vegetable turnovers, fruit and cream cheese pastries, and apple pie, and with the last bit of dough I made meat turnovers. They all turned out perfect. Thanks for the recipe.1Reply
This is the best pie crust that I have ever tasted!! I really appreciate a good recipe like this one. I gave a friend of mine a piece of my apple pie and she said that she thought that her mother made the best crust, but this one tops it by far. My family and I love it and will use it always. Thanks Rosalie from Pa.Reply
see 4 more