Finnish Rauma Cookies (Rauman Piparkakut - Finland)
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs, sifted (or cookie crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- Beat eggs with the sugar until light. Stif in melted butter, sour cream and brandy.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cookie crumbs, soda, baking powder and spices.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well. Dough will be very soft. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350. Make 1-inch balls with your hands. Put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or lightly greased.
- Bake until nicely browned, about 15 minutes. Let cookies dry at room temperature a day before storing them in airtight tins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm so glad that I tried this recipe. The only thing that's at all difficult is waiting out the chill time, lol. The dough, when first made, has a sharp spice taste but that had really mellowed the next day. When baked they have a wonderful warm spice essence that is excellent and should be enjoyed by the kids as well as the adults. :D