Fennel & Herb Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 23mins
- 8 cups 1/2-inch day-old Italian bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 1⁄2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock or 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- For the stuffing, toast the bread cubes in a shallow baking dish at 400 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until brown and crumbly, stirring frequently.
- Add the fennel, onion, and fennel seeds.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until fennel and onion are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the bell peppers, thyme, marjoram and sage.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the wine.
- Cook until reduced by three-fourths.
- Add with stock and 1/4 cup olive oil to the bread crumbs in a large bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon evenly into a buttered 7 1/2 x 11-inch baking pan.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!